The Explorer Belt is a challenge of a lifetime. It is a chance to take part in a ten-day expedition in the Baltic States that brings you a real understanding of a different country, its culture, and way of life.
This County led expedition enables young people (Be an Explorer Scout aged 16 or over, a Scout Network member*). The ability to explore Northern Europe on the eastern coast of The Baltic Sea allowing the ability to explorer Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania in July/August 2022. *Scout Network members must be registered on Compass to qualify.
What is the Explorer Belt?
Undertake a 10-day expedition as part of a team* with a minimum traveling time of 50 hours over the 10 days, by foot, cycle, horse, canoe, boat or dinghy. The use of public transport is acceptable as part of the traveling time, where opportunities to meet people would otherwise be missed.*Minimum starting number of young people per team is three with a minimum of two per team completing the expedition.
- Keep a logbook of the expedition which records places visited, the route is taken, project work is undertaken, and personal thoughts.
- Complete one major project selected by the team which is undertaken throughout the expedition.
- Complete at least ten minor projects which may be chosen by the team, leadership team, peers, or a mixture of these.
- Make a presentation including all elements of your award to the assessment panel and other invited guests of your experiences and achievements.
All you need to know
- The Expedition will take place between 17/08/22 – 31/08/22
- All applicants will be invited to a mandatory selection weekend at Waddecar – TBC
- Training weekends are compulsory and must be attended in full by all participants.
- The cost of the Explorer Belt should never be an obstacle to stopping a young person from applying, with fundraising and grants everyone should be able to go.
- This trip will cost £1000.00. There will be staged payments to allow for fundraising.
- Costs include training weekends
Frequently asked questions & more information
If you would like to know more about West Lancs Explorer Belt Expedition 2022, you can contact the expedition leaders. Equally, if you have any queries or questions regarding the application process, award requirements or inclusivity matters, we would love to hear from you.
Click here to view the FAQs: Explorer Belt FAQs
Click here to view more FAQs: More Explorer Belt FAQs
(regarding likely cost, fundraising, projects and training)
For more information, contact: The Team